Tuesday, August 2, 2011

How do I get started using cloth diapers? (and how do I convince my wife it's a good...?

I use cloth diapers on my youngest child. Do an internet search for "cloth diaper" and you'll find all sorts of resources. Definately buy the pre-folded. And there's other things on the market now besides pins to secure the diaper. You may have trouble finding cloth diaper supplies at you local store, but look around. You'll also need soakers (I made some my own out of an old towel, again, do an internet search). Soakers will come in handy on long car drives and overnight (they may also be called doublers). You can even wait on the soakers until you determine if you'll keep using cloth diapers. You'll also need plastic pants. It may take you a few tries to get the baby and diaper squared up enough to get the diaper on right! Also, there's various ways to fold a diaper and you can just experiment until you find a fold you like (internet search "how to fold a cloth diaper"). I use diaper pins and haven't stuck my baby yet (he's 19 months old now). As far as "start up costs", simple is best. Start with one pack of pre-folded diapers, pins, and plastic pants. If cloth diapers don't work for you, you're not out a lot. All in all, everything cost me about the same as a jumbo pack of disposable diapers. The only thing I've had to keep buying are the plastic pants when he outgrows one size. Again, do an internet search, get as much info as you can, then try out what works for you. If all else fails, you have some extra burp/cleaning rags!

No comments:

Post a Comment